Labor Day Hours – Class at 9am and 10am ONLY!
Nutrition Challenge Starts 9/6 – Come to our Info meeting 9/5 at 6pm!
Ashburn CrossFit – CrossFit
(5-10min) Dynamic Mobility Warmup
Have everyone in a big circle, then, have them start running around in that circle. On your command, have them change movements to:
1. Running backwards
2. Sideways stepping — both ways
3. High knees
4. Low side shuffling — both ways
5. Arm Swings while running forwards
* Every 30sec or so, have them stop in their circle and perform the following movements (one at a time, then get back to moving in the circle again):
1. 10 Downward Dog Leg Raises (come back to Downward Dog position each time) — 5 each side
2. 1 Inchworm + 5 Pushups. 1 Inchworm + 4 Pushups… Down to 1 Pushup.
3. 5 Down dog into Cobra Stretch — back up through staying low
4. 10 Hip/Leg Raises in Supine Plank — 5 each side
5. 10 Alternating Groiners — Sit in each position for 5sec. Move the ankles/hips/knees around each time.
(10min) MORE Stability/Mobility — In Partners
Spend 30sec-1min in each position for each person:
1. Partner assist MB/PVC Stretch — Assist each other with the overhead position.
2. Partner chest stretch
WORKOUT PREP & WORKOUT SHOULD TAKE ROUGHLY 35 MINS
(10min) Review Movements
With a PVC or/and an empty barbell, perform as many reps of the following movements that has them moving well:
Dip Shrug – Muscle Clean – Power Clean (land in high squat) – Power Clean (land in low squat) – Press – Push Press – Push Jerk – Split Jerk (depending on the level of your athletes, you can choose to omit teaching this).
Then, put it all together and perform a few reps of Power Clean and Jerk to finish off.
(10min) Prep for Workout
5 Power Clean + 4 Jerk + 3 Power Clean and Jerk
* Add load each set. For the first 2-3 sets, aim to do everything unbroken. Then, as it gets heavy, break it up as needed.
We wanted a fairly short/med, moderately heavy Olympic Lifting style workout that was a little ‘Grace-ish’ in how it would feel. But on steroids! It requires a rather large cardiovascular output with a large emphasis on strength endurance. Technique is also going to be important to be able to be efficient throughout the 65 reps.
The same load is done across all movements. The Jerk can be done as a Push Jerk or Split Jerk.
The goal for your top athletes to go somewhere between 5-10min. This should be everyone’s time goal. We suggest you cap it around 12min.
The first set of Power Cleans should be able to be done in 2-4 sets. If your athletes know the weight is somewhat heavy for them and they want to be a little conservative, doing smaller sets with short rests is fine, just make sure their rest times don’t start to increase as they get more tired!
The limiting factor for most people is going to be the 20 Jerks. Not having the option of dumping it after each rep makes it a mental and physical challenge about how many reps they will do in a set. Most people will need to break these up into sets of 5+/-. Of course, they can dump it every rep, that just means they will be doing a lot more work.
The 15 Power Clean and Jerks will most likely be done one rep at a time and as the end starts to close in, they might start doing stringing a couple of reps together to get it done quicker. At this point, they will be fatigued, so make sure they are using their legs and are still positioning themselves well.
20 Power Clean
10 Power Clean and Jerk